BUNS (can be made 1 day ahead):
300 g all purpose flour
2 tsp instant active yeast
1½ tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp sugar (optional)
1 packet of Bonsan Terriyaki Jackfruit
½ English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
1 turnip or ruby beetroot, cut into matchsticks
Red cabbage, shredded finely
Roasted (unsalted) peanuts, crushed or chopped
Spring onion, sliced finely
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt. Add about 120 ml / ½ cup of warm (that’s important) water and 1½ tbsp of oil. Once combined roughly with a wooden spoon, start combining the dough with your hands. Knead it for 10 minutes with your hands until elastic and smooth. Form the dough into a ball and rub a small amount of oil on the dough’s surface to prevent drying. Place in a clean bowl covered with a kitchen towel and place it somewhere warm for 1-2 hrs or until it doubles in size.
2. Cut two circles of baking paper to line the steamer with. Make a lot of small holes in the circles so that the steam can get through. You can use a paper puncher for this or fold each circle in half 3 times and cut small circles out along the folded edges with a pair of scissors. Prepare also eight 5 cm / 2″ squares of baking paper and insert into the buns to prevent the two halves from sticking to each other (you could also use oil instead).
3. After the dough has doubled in size, tip it out onto a lightly floured surface and press the air out with your fingertips. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form small balls. Place the balls on a lightly floured surface, cover with a kitchen towel and leave for another 30 min.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll the balls out into ½ cm / ¼” thick oval shapes. Fold each shape in half and insert a square of baking paper between the two halves. Alternatively you could also oil the buns before folding in half.
5. Line your bamboo steamer with paper circles you’ve made earlier and place folded up buns inside for another 30 min of proving. If your steamer is too small (like mine), place four buns inside (two on each tier) and rest the remaining four on a baking paper lined and lightly dusted tray until you are ready to steam.
6. Half fill a saucepan (which the steamer can comfortably sit on, of course) with water and place the steamer with the buns on top. Using a medium-high heat, let the water come to a simmer. Once you can hear the water simmering vigorously, put the timer on to 10 mins. After the time is up, take the saucepan and steamer off the heat and rest the buns for another 5 minutes. This will spare the buns temperature shock and will prevent them from shrinking. After 5 This will spare the buns temperature shock and will prevent them from shrinking. After 5 minutes, lift the lid off and remove the buns gently. Cook the remaining four like you did the first four.
1. Open the can of jackfruit and warm slighly in a frying pan. Set aside.
2. Fill each bun with pulled jackfruit, fresh veggies, herbs, chilli, crushed peanuts and some extra hoisin sauce (if using).