1 and 1/2 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
265 ml Water
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 and 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
390 g All-purpose Flour (Plus more for dusting)
*Or vegan puff pastry.
4 Tablespoons BONSAN vegan Green Pesto
4 Tablespoons BONSAN vegan Red Pesto
1. Mix the water and yeast in a bowl until the yeast has fully dissolved. Add the sugar and olive oil and mix again. Add the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a rough dough.
2. Lightly dust a flat surface with some flour and turn out the dough. Knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and silky. Place back in the bowl which has been coated in a little olive oil. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Turn out the risen dough onto a lightly floured surface and knock out all the air. Divide the dough in 2 and roll out each piece into a 9×18 inch rectangle. Cover each half with the pesto (1 piece with red, 1 piece with green) then roll up the dough lengthways, as demonstrated in the video above.
4. Cut the dough lengthways and lay each piece so that the open side is facing up. Cross over 1 red piece and 1 green piece in the middle and twist keeping the cut pesto side facing up. Once twisted, cut each rope into 4 equal pieces, lay on a baking tray, cover with cling film and allow it to rise for a further 30 minutes.
5. While the pieces are rising for the 2nd time, preheat the oven to 170°C for 15 minutes. Once 30 minutes has passed, remove the cling film and bake the breads for 15 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before eating