1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
100g mushrooms, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon Bonsan Organic Worcester Sauce
200g cooked brown lentils
20g walnuts, finely chopped
3 sheets vegan puff pastry
1 tablespoon Bonsan Organic Olive Oil Ghee, melted
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
2. In a small saucepan, warm the olive oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic, cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Add carrot, celery, mushrooms, and seasonings (sage, thyme, bay leaf, salt & pepper) and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add Bonsan Organic Worcester Sauce, lentils and walnuts and stir until combined. Cook for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool as you begin preparing the puff pastry.
5. Lay the pastry sheets flat on top of baking paper. Sprinkle lightly with flour and use a rolling pin to stretch it out a little, smoothing out any ridges from being folded up in the packaging. Using a 4.5”/11 cm round cutter, press down on the pastry to cut 18 circles. You can stretch out the excess pastry with a rolling pin and cut out an additional 4 circles.
6. Place the filling among half of the circles, leaving about a ½ “/1 cm border around the edges for closure. Wet the edges of the pastry, and place the remaining circles on top of the others with filling. Using your fingers, press down on the edges of the pastry to seal them. Use a fork to press down on the edges again, further sealing them and adding the crimped design.
7. Place the pies on two lined baking sheets and brush the tops with vegan ghee. Cut a couple of ¼”/ ½ cm slices on top of the pies for venting.
8. Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown.