For the fishcakes:
450g potatoes, peeled
650g Bonsan Organic Kofu Fishfree Tofuna
6 spring onions, finely chopped
2tbsp flat-leaf parsley or chives
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
1tbsp lemon juice
1 egg yolk
½tsp English mustard
140g (4½oz) plain flour
1 vegan egg, beaten
125ml (4fl oz) plant - based milk
150g (5oz) dry breadcrumbs
125ml (4fl oz) vegetable oil
Rocket or watercress to serve
For the tartar sauce:
100 g vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp gherkin, finely diced - a.k.a. pickles
1 tbsp capers, finely diced
1 tsp lemon juice - from 1 lemon wedge should be plenty
1 tsp dry parsley - or 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
Serves: 4 Fish Cakes
1. To make the tartar sauce, finely dice the gherkin and capers. Add to a small bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix together. Season to taste.
2. To make the fishcakes, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain them well and then mash.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potato, tofuna, spring onions, parsley or chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, vegan egg yolk and mustard, and season well. Press the mixture into eight patties. Lightly coat each one in flour and shake off any excess.
4. Whisk together the beaten vegan egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Place the breadcrumbs in a second shallow bowl. Dip each fish cake into the vegan egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs, making sure each one is well coated. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until ready to cook.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the fish cakes - in batches if necessary - for 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden.
Serve with tartar sauce, rocket or watercress and fresh lemon.