2 tbsp olive oil
125g strong white bread flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
275ml plant based milk
170g Pack Bonsan Kofu sausages
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
250ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp yeast extract
1½ tsp cornflour
freshly ground black pepper
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas. Pour the oil into a frying pan and fry the sausages until slightly brown.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add 200ml/7fl oz of the plant milk and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Place a small amount of oil into a Yorkshire pudding tray and pop in the oven.
4. Take the tin carefully out of the oven and pour in the batter. Cut the sausage into smaller pieces and place on top. Return to the oven and cook for 30 minutes, or until the batter is risen, golden brown and hot throughout.
5. While the toad-in-the-hole is cooking, make the onion gravy. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 10 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring regularly.
6. Pour the stock into the pan, add the ketchup, soy sauce and yeast extract. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix the cornflour with a tablespoon of cold water in a small bowl until smooth.
7. Stir the cornflour into the pan with the onion and return to a simmer. Cook for 1–2 minutes more until the sauce is thickened, stirring. Season with lots of ground black pepper.
8. Serve the freshly cooked toad-in-the-hole with the hot onion gravy.