4 large Carrots
Sea Salt (for coating)
3 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
½ teaspoon smoked Paprika
Squeeze fresh Lemon juice
Ground black pepper
Bonsan Organic Almond Crème Wild Garlic
Chives and/or Dill
1. Preheat the oven to 245°C (225° fan) and line a medium baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Coat the bottom with about a 6mm layer of salt, then place the whole carrots in the dish and sprinkle with a good amount of salt to cover. Don’t worry, you won’t be eating all this salt in the final result!
3. Roast the carrots until easily pierced with a fork, but not mushy. The timing will depend on the size and freshness of your carrots. Check them, starting around 40 minutes - large carrots will take around 60-90 minutes.
4. Make the marinade: In a shallow dish or small bowl, combine the olive oil, rice vinegar, paprika, lemon juice, and several grinds of black pepper.
5. Remove the carrots from the oven and let cool. Use your hands to rub off any excess salt. Use a knife to slice a thin strip off one side of the salty skin, and then use a peeler to peel the carrot into ribbons. If the peeler gets stuck on the soft carrot, slice pieces as thinly as possible with a knife. Place the strips in the marinade and toss to coat. Transfer to the refrigerator and marinate for 15-30 minutes.
6. Serve with Almond Crème Wild Garlic, bagels, cucumber slices, capers, chives and/or dill.
If you have extra carrots, you can cover and refrigerate them in the marinade and keep them for up to 4 days.