250g oz chestnut mushrooms
225 g Bonsan Kofu Sausages
3 tbsp olive oil
2 large shallots, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
8 fresh sage leaves
4 thyme sprigs
4 tsp Bonsan Vegan Worcester sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp tomato paste
1½ tsp wholegrain mustard, more to taste
1 sheet ready made puff pastry
1 vegan egg wash: 2 tsp plant milk, 1 tsp olive oil + 1 tsp maple syrup or sugar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Heat up the oven to 200 degrees-celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Chop the mushrooms into very small pieces and dice and mash the Bonsan Kofu Sausages with a fork.
3. Heat up olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and fry until fragrant and translucent, stirring from time to time.
4. Add garlic, sage and thyme leaves. Fry until garlic softens, stirring often.
5. Add chopped up mushrooms and let them sauté until all the excess water cooks out.
6. Add in mashed Bonsan Kofu Sausages, Bonsan Worcester sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, tomato paste and wholegrain mustard.
7. Mix everything really well and season with salt and pepper to taste. If there is still some moisture in the pan, make sure you allow it to cook out before letting the filling cool.
8. Take the puff pastry out of the fridge for about 10 minutes before assembling the rolls so that it’s more pliable.
9. Cut your pastry into 3 equal portions widthwise – you should end up with 3 rectangles of roughly 23 cm x 12 cm.
10. Place one third of the filling slightly to one side of the first rectangle of pastry and shape it into a long sausage using your hands.
11. Fold the larger side of pastry over the filling and seal it well using your fingers. Gently flip the roll so that the seam is at the bottom. Repeat.
12. Cut your large sausage rolls into smaller ones and using a sharp knife make little slits on the top of each individual sausage roll so that the steam can escape during cooking.
13. Glaze the roll with the vegan egg wash and sprinkle with sesame
14. Arrange sausage rolls on a paper-lined baking tray (glazed side up) and bake for about 25 minutes, until the pastry has puffed up and become golden brown.